Sunday, 26 May 2019

Composting toilet build

It's been a while since I last found time to update this blog, as there's been a lot on, including building our composting toilet - more below on that. The sad bit is that one of our cockatiels, Tom, passed away - there's a memorial video of him here. We've also been involved in the Extinction Rebellion action on the climate emergency - I've livestreamed from some of the actions here. The coppicing was completed in early February - here's a video walk-through of the area:


Winter seemed to come and go, with things warming up enough for sap to flow from the stumps of coppiced Birch trees, and then cooling enough for that sap to freeze:
DSC_8125

I spotted the first Bluebell open on 29 March:
2019-03-29 16.21.57

About the same time as the Wood Anemones were in full bloom:
DSC_8657

A month later, Bluebells had entirely replaced the Wood Anemones in that spot, which was where we'd coppiced just over a year ago:
2019-05-06 13.50.12

Elsewhere in the woods the wild boar had been busy digging up grass to look for food:
DSC_8561

and I tried taking some arty photos of woodland scenes:
DSC_8662

DSC_8666

The building of our composting toilet in the woods has also been keeping Tracy and I busy. It's not done yet, but here's the story so far... This is the space we picked for it, away from the 'camp' but not too far, and no significant trees to fell to clear a space for it:
DSC_0254

The first job was to put in the main structural posts. We used a post-hole digger to create holes a couple of feet deep for these, the posts are peeled sweet chestnut (thanks to Tracy for doing lots of peeling, plus help from some visitors too!):
DSC_0259

Then we had to come up with a way of holding a horizontal pole against the posts so I could use a transfer scribe to mark them out for making a joint:
DSC_0267

DSC_0268

It would have been easier to do this with them lying on the ground and then stand the frame upright, but it would have been rather heavy... Then some careful chainsawing was needed to shape the pieces of wood to fit together - once again, the precise speed control and lower weight of the battery chainsaw (a Husqvarna 536LiXP) came in useful:
DSC_0269

Here's the end result, including a little step at the bottom and a matching notch in horizontal pole, to take some of the weight:
DSC_0270

This was repeated for the next row of posts, and then the poles fixed into place using stainless steel bolts and large square washers:
2019-04-14 13.19.38

More similar work put the next layer of poles in place, which extend forward to join some more posts, which will form a handrail around a platform in front of the toilet cubicles:
DSC_1177

Then it was on to the roof - we bought some timber for this bit, as we didn't have long enough straight pieces of our own to use. It involved quite a bit of clambering around to get it done:
DSC_0349

DSC_0350

DSC_0351

The roof was completed with some corrugated panels, coloured green so as not to stand out too much visually:
DSC_0352

2019-05-19 13.39.46

That's as far as we've got for now - we want to use our own sweet chestnut to make the floor and walls, so we're waiting to get some time on a friend's sawmill. More to come on this later in the summer!

Mike

Click here to read the rest of this post.