Wednesday 4 August 2010

Visiting the Isle of Eigg (part 2)

In part 1, I showed you pictures of the trip to Eigg. In this post, I'll show you some of the magnificent scenery on and around the island.

After arriving at the pier, you're greeted by wonderful views back to the mainland, in two different directions:

I was there for work, so had some meetings at the Isle of Eigg Heritage Trust office, and then headed across to my accommodation over at Laig Bay, where I arrived just in time to catch the end of the sunset, with the Isle of Rum across the sea:

which was lighting the guest house and the cliff behind it in red:

Here's a better picture of the place I stayed:

It's Lageorna, and includes a self-catering cottage and two double en-suite B&B rooms. Sue, who runs the place, also cooks a great evening meal. I'd strongly recommend this as a place to stay, especially given the view from the nearby Laig beach to Rum and Skye:

The next day I went on a guided tour of all the renewable energy facilities of the island (more on that in the next post), and took in some great scenery as a result, such as the Sgurr

looking back to Laig bay:

Some of the higher parts of the island are quite barren:

but there's actually quite a lot of woodland too, both deciduous and coniferous:

There's various interesting sites to be seen as you go around, such as the remains of homes left derelict after the Clearances in the mid 19th century.

and the "Giant's Footprint", a small pool with floating islands of vegetation in it:
My next post on Eigg will show the real reason I went there - the renewable energy installations and the work done to reduce their carbon footprint, but for now I'll leave you with some more pictures of Laig beach.
and last of all, the Isle of Rum lit up by the sun rising over Eigg behind the Lageorna guest house:

Mike

Read part 1 of Visiting the Isle of Eigg
Read part 3 of Visiting the Isle of Eigg

No comments: