I had a good day in the woods today; not only did I get a decent amount of work done, I also got photos of some of the wildlife, including a Greater Spotted Woodpecker. The first thing I saw upon driving in though was these Fly Agaric (Amanita Muscaria), so I stopped to get a pic:
Once out of the car, I realised they were all over the place!
Lots of other fungi out too, such as this decaying bolete:
and some Brown Roll Rims:
While I was getting my tools together I heard a woodpecker up in the trees. They're normally quite hard to photograph in the woods, being a bit shy, but this one came out in the open, though still a fair distance away:
I eventually got on with the job for the day, and headed over to Sweep Wood, using the log trolley to transport my tools:
The area I was working in had suffered from some windblow, here it is a week ago, before I did some work on it with my friends Paul and Marcus:
At the start of today the main clearing that's been created just had a couple more to take down:
but there were still quite a few trees across the path and some broken stools to deal with:
Here's a short timelapse video I took with the GoPro camera to show you what I was up to...
So now there's a new clearing, which I'm sure will spring into life next year with the light coming in:
and the path running past it is clear and safe to walk along:
Some of the logs that were produced were fairly rotten, so I left them for the bugs to live in, but there was quite a bit of good stuff, which I moved with the log trolley.
From today and the day I did with Paul and Marcus, we've got a decent pile of wood out of this bit of work!
We only need 4-5 times what's in that picture to do a year's heating at home...