Not content with repairing an old culvert, we've also been busy digging a new one. Here's the track before we started, with the pipe laid on top:
The water comes from a spring up the hill from the track:
The first step was to dig a trench for the pipe:
This time, as we didn't have any convenient lumps of concrete, we've driven several chestnut stakes into the ground either side of the pipe where the car wheels will cross it, to provide some extra support:
Having covered the pipe back over, we dug a sump on the uphill side:
And an outflow on the downhill side:
Here it is immediately after completion and being driven over once:
Just a couple of weeks later, the track is transformed!
We also put in some big logs on either side to act as 'kerbs' to retain the soil:
One other interesting point - I noticed a lot of wasps while I was working on this, and found they were heading into this hole:
Which on closer examination had a nest in it!
I'll be starting coppicing in a few weeks, and hope to have a bit more time to update the blog after that...