Wednesday 7 May 2014

New camera in the woods - bluebells and butterflies

Sorry for the lack of posts - I've been getting to grips with my new camera, a Nikon D5300, and also some new software to process the photos, Adobe Lightroom. Anyway, I'm back now, and here's a selection of photos from the woods...

May is always a good month for butterflies, and now I can capture images of them in even higher resolutions! :-) Here's a Peacock sunning itself:

DSC_0170

and also a female Orange Tip, which confusingly does not have orange-tipped wings like the male does...
DSC_0178

The Brimstone butterflies are out too, and this one actually sat still for me:
DSC_0196

Bees are out too - I think this one is a 'Large Red-tailed Humble Bee', but not too sure on that:
DSC_0206

and I've no idea what this one is, as I've not got its whole body visible:
DSC_0177

Dragonflies are beginning to appear as well:
DSC_0163

But the birds are harder to photograph now, with the leaves hiding them, as with this Great Tit:
DSC_0185

As well as the usual photos, I've also been trying some of the special features in my new camera. One of them is selective colouring, where you can pick up to three colours to include, with various parameters, leaving the rest of the picture in greyscale. For example, Bluebells with only the blue showing:
DSC_0116

And again, but with blue and green this time:
DSC_0026

DSC_0045

It worked nicely on this daisy:
DSC_0180

and also this Lesser Celandine (?):
DSC_0129

DSC_0130

DSC_0131

I also tried a few using HDR (High Dynamic Range) plus a 'sketch' effect:
DSC_0042

DSC_0034

Plenty more to come in due course...

Mike

No comments: