Thursday 25 September 2014

Winching windblown trees

This week I carried on removing last winter's windblow. I'd already removed the easy trees, leaving these ones to be pulled out. I attached a sling to each one in turn, then hooked the winch cable into it:

DSC_2049

At the other end was my Tirfor T516, attached to a tree with another sling:
DSC_2051

Without too much effort, each tree was winched into a position where it could easily be cut up with the chainsaw:
DSC_2052

A couple of them had an upturned root plate in the way, so I used this little trick I learned some years ago, propping a forked branch under the winch cable to lift the tree as well as pulling it backwards:
DSC_2054

By the end of the day they were all out of the way:
DSC_2058

There's still a few logs for me to clear up though...
DSC_2060

Plenty to get on with next week, and it looks like the weather will hold!

Mike

No comments: