Saturday 27 November 2010

First frost in the woods

Yesterday was the first proper frost in the woods. I know it's been cold in more northerly parts of the UK already, but it's a bit warmer where we are. The grass and leaves were crispy with ice, and the soil had mostly frozen solid.

DSC_5220

In the shade, the frost actually stayed all day, so I expect it will build up over the coming week, as it looks like the weather will stay cold.

Anyway, this kind of weather is great for working in the woods, as you don't get too hot, the ground is firm underfoot, and it's often sunny. Here's the view as I arrived not too long after sunrise:
DSC_5222

My first job was to fill the bird feeder. I also had to refill it seven hours later when I left, as they'd eaten this much in that time:
DSC_5300

I did of course stop to get some pictures before starting work, as the birds arrived as soon as I'd filled it. Mostly Coal Tits, with one Blue Tit:
DSC_5255

DSC_5241

DSC_5242

DSC_5246

DSC_5252

I also tried getting some fast shutter photos of birds in flight, but as the sun wasn't up very far I had to do them at ISO1600, so they were a bit noisy, but here's the results anyway:
DSC_5270

DSC_5271

DSC_5273

I need to be there nearer to midday to have another go...

I heard some rustling noises nearby, and saw a pheasant trying to be inconspicuous with its white, red and blue/green head...
DSC_5261

Coincidentally, Tracy saw a Reeves's Pheasant a few miles from the wood today. Would be interesting to get a picture of one if they spread over to us...

On to the work... as I was there on my own yesterday, rather than tackle too many big trees, I worked on some awkward Hazel stools along the edge, as these take quite a bit of time but there's not much to go wrong. I've cleared a nice gap here:
DSC_5282

and another one here, though a few stems have been left as I need a rope on them to pull them back into the wood:
DSC_5290

There was also some windblown Chestnut that I finished dealing with. The stool is still alive, so perhaps it will recover...
DSC_5292

In the meantime, it made a neat vantage point to take a photo from:
DSC_5294

Here's a view from the reference point at the bottom, followed by one from before we started:
DSC_5296

DSC_4899

It really does feel like the end is in sight, though there's a few more weeks to do yet, especially roping the edge trees back in.

Mike

No comments: